Wednesday, August 4, 2004

The Showdown

There are many who malign the Miss Bliss years, who say that the Midwestern yokels of JFK Middle School can't compete with the sexy swagger of the Bayside crowd. To those naysayers and jetsetters, I say only this:

Behold the power of DEKE!

This is easily one of my all-time favorites, as Deke the illiterate bully (played by David Boreanaz lookalike Andras Jones, in the role that should have made him a star) wreaks havoc on the idyllic city of Indianapolis and spouts some of the best dialogue in Saved by the Bell history!

Also in this episode, Lisa and Nikki drive me crazy with their stupid fight over Nikki's play about a park ranger that I don't care about because goddammit where the hell is Deke?!!!

Today's Quote:

Mikey: I've got some advice: When Deke hits you, fall on a fat kid.


Jeez Louise, Mikey, fat kids have feeling too!

Saved by the Bell Quote Hall of Fame:

Deke: You know what would make me feel better? Erasing the lines on the basketball court...with your FACE!


Man, I wish I had more Deke, but, except for this piece of 25 karat gold, it's mostly all in the delivery - simply put, Deke has to be seen to be believed.

Most Implausible Moment

Consider the following exchange:

Miss Bliss: "Do your parent's know [that you can't read]?"

Deke: "Who do you think taught me not to read?!"

Wait a second. They TAUGHT you how NOT to read? I, uh, I don't get it.

"How'd This Get Past Standards" Watch

Milo: "I even named it - Woody."

Tina: "This is a stage, the show must go on, and Woody's gonna get nailed!"

Whoa.

Oh, and one more thing:

Deke (to Screech, but also, to the world):

"I CAN'T READ! WHY AREN'T YOU LAGHING?! YOU'RE SUPPPOSED TO LAUGH AND THEN I HIT YOU! THAT'S HOW THIS GOES!"

That's right, Deke, let it all out. Just ... let it all out...

1 comment:

regan said...

So this is four years too late (sorry) but you totally left out the best part. I haven't seen this particular episode in about a year...but Mr. B has a gem.

Ms. Bliss and the B discuss shipping Deke to Siberia. Ms. Bliss blaims his inability to read for his misconduct. Mr. B tactfully reminds her that you don't need to know how to read English in Siberia.

I probably got that off...but the idea of shipping off kids with learning disabilities to the frozen wasteland was one that stuck.